Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Preview Activity - Bury My Heart

Before attending the Film Festival showing of Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, I'd like for you to read through the plot summery and other material below - and watch the trailer. While this is one of the better films that will be shown this year, it will be more enjoyable if you have a bit of prior knowledge.




The following plot summary Wikipedia:

The plot, which is based on events covered by several chapters of Brown's book as well as other sources on Charles Eastman, revolves around three main characters: Charles Eastman né Ohiyesa (Adam Beach), a young, Dartmouth-educated, Sioux doctor held up as living proof of the alleged success of assimilation; Sitting Bull (Schellenberg), the proud Sioux chief who refuses to submit to U.S. government policies designed to strip his people of their identity, their dignity and their sacred land—the gold-laden Black Hills of the Dakotas; and Senator Henry Dawes (Quinn), an architect of government policy on Indian affairs.

While Eastman and patrician schoolteacher Elaine Goodale (Paquin) work to improve life for the Indians on the reservation, Senator Dawes lobbies President Ulysses Grant (Thompson) for more humane treatment, opposing the bellicose stance of General William Tecumseh Sherman (Feore). The Dawes Commission (actually held from 1893 to 1914)[1] develops a proposal to break up the Great Sioux Reservation to allow for American demands for land while preserving enough land for the Sioux to live on. The Commission's plan is held up by the stance of Sitting Bull, who has taken a position of leadership among the Sioux as one of the last chiefs to fight for their independence. Dawes, in turn, urges Eastman to help him convince the recalcitrant tribal leaders. After witnessing conditions on the reservation, Eastman refuses.

Hope rises for the Indians in the form of the prophet Wovoka (Studi) and the Ghost Dance—a messianic movement that promises an end of their suffering under the white man. This hope is obliterated after the assassination of Sitting Bull and the massacre of hundreds of Indian men, women and children by the 7th Cavalry at Wounded Knee Creek on December 29, 1890.

Here's another plot summery (from iMDb and HBO Films)
Beginning just after the bloody Sioux victory over General Custer at Little Big Horn, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee intertwines the perspectives of three characters: Charles Eastman, né Ohiyesa, a young, Dartmouth-educated, Sioux doctor held up as living proof of the alleged success of assimilation; Sitting Bull, the proud Lakota chief who refuses to submit to U.S. government policies designed to strip his people of their identity, their dignity and their sacred land - the gold-laden Black Hills of the Dakotas; and Senator Henry Dawes, who was one of the architects of the government policy on Indian affairs. While Eastman and patrician schoolteacher Elaine Goodale work to improve life for the Indians on the reservation, Senator Dawes lobbies President Grant for more humane treatment, opposing the bellicose stance of General William Tecumseh Sherman. Hope rises for the Indians in the form of the prophet Wovoka and the Ghost Dance - a messianic movement that promises an end of their suffering under the white man. This hope is obliterated after the assassination of Sitting Bull and the massacre of hundreds of Indian men, women and children by the 7th Cavalry at Wounded Knee Creek on Dec. 29, 1890. Written by HBO Films

As with all movies based on historical events, historical accuracy should be taken into consideration when deciding on how valuable a film is for educational uses. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about historical accuracy:

The role of Eastman has been exaggerated to allow him to be a witness to multiple historic events. He was not present at Little Big Horn nor was he involved in drawing up the Dawes plan to individualize Indian land ownership.[2] Eastman first met Dawes as a lobbyist, years after Wounded Knee.[2]

Furthermore, Eastman is not a major figure in Brown's book. Much of the material on Eastman appears to be drawn from Raymond Wilson's 1999 biography of Eastman, Ohiyesa.

Henry L. Dawes is portrayed sympathetically. Though his motives were to increase the cultural assimilation of Native Americans into American society overall, the Dawes Act that he sponsored in 1887 and his later efforts as head of the Dawes Commission, decreased the amount of land owned by Native Americans through the parcelization of Native American reservations and was the chief contributor to Native American poverty later on. Native Americans lost, over the 47 years of the Act's life, about 90 million acres (360,000 km²) of treaty land, or about two-thirds of the 1887 land base. About 90,000 Indians were made landless. The Dawes Act deteriorated Native American communal life-style, culture, and unity.[3][4]

I think that you will find this to be an excellent film. Both entertaining and educational. Please just leave a comment saying that you read the above post.

41 comments:

  1. I've read the post & watched the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read and watched the trailer, it looks like a pretty good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the post & watched the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nick jusevitch


    I have read the post and the trailer looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the post and watched the trialer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe that this will be a really awesome movie. After reading the blog and watching the trailer I am ready for Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really looking forward to this movie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read it and watched the clip. TTommorow will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read the stuff and watch the video and I think this movie will be AWSOME!!! It looks so cool I can't wait til tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This movie is cool because it is educational and exciting all in one. It is going to be cool seeing people get shot.

    P.S. I was just kidding about the people geting shot I just tried to make my response longer

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Clip and Info on this movie were interesting. I look forward to watching it after school tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see this movie. It's going to be good. The info was interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. read the post trailer looks good, like these kinds of movies....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have read the post and trailer, looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've read the post and watched the clip

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read the post and watched the trailer, cant wait.

    Carrie LaJeunesse

    ReplyDelete
  17. I watched the clip and read the post

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read the post and wached the trailer. It looks like it will be a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I watched the film, and read the post, it look's like it will be very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have read the post and watched the movie trailer

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've read the post & watched the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Trevor M. said....

    I have watched the trailer and read the post. It looks like a pretty good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have read the post, it sounds like a pretty interesting story...and it is a true story!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Saw the treailer & read the post. seems good i have high expectations (meaning i cant wait for someone to get tomahawked)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I watched and read the reviews

    ReplyDelete
  26. I watched the trailer and read the reviews. I am ready for this cool movie

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think it will be a really good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think that this movie will be very interestongand have a lot food points

    ReplyDelete
  29. looks like a cool movie cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Allison C. said.....

    This movie seems like it will be really good and entertaining. I did read this.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think that this will be a awesome movie because it lets us know to fight for what we care about it also reminds me of the other famous native American story "Little Big Man" which is also a awesome movie. I have high hopes for this movie and i am sure It will be entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've read the post and watch the trailer. IT looks like a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have read the post and this movie looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have read the postings and am very excited to watch the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sorry for the spelling error:)
    It should have said:
    I think that the movie will be very interesting and will have a lot of good points.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've read the post and watched the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I watched the trailer and read the previw and it looks good

    ReplyDelete
  38. hmm i posted on here yesterday that i looked at both but it didn't show up?? but i did view both!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have read the preview and watched the trailer and the movie was pretty good and I couldn't do it till now since the school website was messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  40. The Lemonade Diet supplement is considered to be a great
    desert cigar after a nice dinner.

    Feel free to visit my weblog ... website

    ReplyDelete